Monday, August 17, 2015

Week #4

Dear Family and Friends,

Another successful week under the belt. As time goes on I get more and more used to mission life and having someone by my side 24/7. The lessons are so much more familiar and the spirit gets stronger and stronger as me and Elder Allen teach. He is a great trainer and is helping me learn the ropes of missionary life.
So earlier this week, on Tuesday, me and Elder Allen had an awesome miracle happen. We had just had an appointment cancel on us (happens quite often) and we didn't know what to do. Our backup plan wasn't available so we pulled over and tried to think of where we should go. I had a strong urge to say a prayer and ask our Father in Heaven where we should go. Immediately after I closed the prayer, Elder Allen knew where we should go. We went to a less active members house to hopefully share a lesson. We pulled up and got out of the car, but before we went to the door, we decided to stop and talk to a man passing by on the street. To our surprise he addressed us as Elders and knew so much about our church! He seemed to be very interested and was happy to give us his number to call him and set a return appointment. We are planning on meeting with him later this week and I will let you all know how that goes. I was so grateful for this sweet experience and to be able to see the love the Lord has for me.

Wednesday was a less exciting day. We had zone conference which was awesome and super spiritual, but Elder Allen got a migraine so we had to cancel all of our appointments we had set for later that day. I don't think I have ever been more bored in my entire life I was that night. I read scriptures, watched some bible videos and walked in circles around the apartment... It wasn't too bad but I would rather be shot rather than do that again.

Then on Thursday, we taught an awesome investigator named Issac. He has a lot of knowledge about the church from the lessons that he has already been taught but there is something holding him back from baptism and coming to church. For whatever reason, he doesn't feel very comfortable with church. But as we taught him Thursday, the spirit was so strong. He has been diligently reading the book of Mormon and has great questions about it. Issac has so much potential and I can see the love that he has for Christ and for this church. I know that once Issac comes to church he will have that desire to be baptized.
We taught another investigator Thursday named Kevin, that told us he doesn't want to be converted. He said that he is already part of another religion but isn't really active in it. So we asked him if it would be okay if we continued to teach him the lessons so that he could have a better knowledge of Christ's church before he decided anything. Luckily he said that was fine. I know that if he truly tries to learn more about the gospel and prays with a sincere heart, he will know of the truthfulness of the gospel. 

On Friday, my entire perspective of what a mission is changed. The event that altered my outlook on life was my first bike ride. Up until this point I have been driving in a car. We still have a car but we are tight on miles. We are only given a certain amount of miles we can drive in a month and it is not looking too good for this month. So we rode our bikes for probably 20 or 25 miles. I am getting used to it no thought and love being able to talk to people on the streets. I for sure have more respect for those Elders and Sisters that are in biking areas. 

One more thing. On Thursday we had the chance to help a less active member, Jerry, clean out his shed. He is an older guy that hasn't opened up too much to us before. After doing such a great job at cleaning and organizing his shed he showed another side of himself. He took us down to his basement and showed us a go kart that he built with his own two hands. He said it hasn't run since 1995 but back then it would go 100 mph!!! Probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. I will attach a pic at the bottom.

I love you all so much and am grateful for your love and support. I love my mission and know this is what my father in Heaven wants me to be doing now.

Love, Elder Scoresby


1 comment:

  1. your spirit is beautiful. love and prayers with you. Grandpa

    ReplyDelete