Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Week #79

Hi Mom!

This week was crazy! I can't believe how fast it went! Our meeting with Elder Gay was AMAZING! We had to drive to the mission office twice for meetings with Elder Gay so that punched our miles right in the face. It's so hard to stay within mileage limitations when we have tons of meetings! This month is one of those months. Here are some things I learned from Elder Gay.

1. If you aren't receiving revelation daily, you aren't doing missionary work.
- You have to receive revelation daily in order to do effective work. If you aren't receiving revelation, you might be doing work, but it's not missionary work.

2. Missionary work doesn't start until someone says "no". 

3. Faith is a power that can awaken a soul that is dormant. 
- Someone asked him how we get someone motivated to act on the message of the restored gospel. He responded with that quote, meaning that our own personal faith will awaken the souls of our investigators. 

4. When the Lord commands, there is always a path.

5. If you magnify your calling then the Lord will magnify your life!
- This was his departing promise to us!

Super fun to learn from Elder Gay!

I feel like I don't even remember what happened this week! Our investigators are all doing the same. We haven't had any major break throughs with them. We did have a super great lesson last Wednesday night. We got a bible referral for a lady name Latrice so we stopped by her with a member and had a strait fire lesson! While we were teaching the Restoration, she started talking about how her husband was in prison and she had just lost her job. She has her 5 daughters living with her and she has no idea how she is going to provide for them. She started to cry when the member, with tears in his eyes told her about his circumstances. We were totally unaware that this member had just lost his job and is now looking for work. They talked, and cried together and the spirit was so strong. I know that it wasn't just coincidence that we brought that member to that bible referral. At the end of the lesson, Latrice committed to read the Book of Mormon and was stoked to learn more. We're planning on seeing her this coming Saturday. She seems so prepared! I love finding and teaching people that are excited to hear the restored gospel!

Funny story that will remind you of how uncoordinated I am... 

One morning during companionship study, I was standing next to my desk, throwing this basketball into the air and catching it when something catastrophic happened! The basketball slipped nearly out or my reach! I took a step to reach for the ball in order prevent it from hitting the ground and waking up our downstairs neighbor. Then, being the human I am, I rolled my ankle on that single step I took... I ended up hitting the ground with my whole body simultaneously (including my face). All I could do was lay there and sort of laugh at my stupidity. I did, however, keep the ball from bouncing! Looking back though, a little basketball would have probably been quieter than the force of my entire body (once again including my face). Goes to show you that a mission might change me spiritually, but it sure as heck isn't going to make me more coordinated. 

Sorry for the lame email today! Emailing gets harder and harder each week. I feel like I'm going to see you so soon! Oh and by the way, I was wondering if you could wait to send me anything for my birthday. Transfers are on the 8th of February and I am almost for sure leaving. I don't want to have to try and fit anything other than what I already have now. Thanks Mom!!!! Love you so much!!

Love,

Scoresby, Jackson, Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment